We had a little but of a scare this morning with little Miss Emmers. First, I have to say my morning was fantastic. The girls went to bed last night around 8-ish and I didn't hear a peep out of either one of them after I said goodnight. It has been quite a while since that has happened. I had a TON to do around the house so I didn't sit down to watch 'Grey's' until around 9:30. It was a sad episode too so I kinda wish I hadn't watched. Quite a downer to end the night an nobody needs that before going to bed. I heard Emmy stirring around 1:30 and I was sure that meant she had another poopy diaper. She's been fighting a tummy bug since Wednesday (and I've been doing way too much laundry as a result) so I wanted to change her if she woke up in the middle of the night. I ran upstairs and quietly checked on her. No problems! I went back to sleep and didn't wake up again until my alarm went off, which is quite a treat after the week+ we've had. So I hopped in the shower ... not a peep from either girl. I got dressed ... not a peep. I ate breakfast ... not a peep. I started a[nother] load of laundry ... not a peep. Finally Megan woke up and we weren't quiet about anything while I got her dressed. It was 8:00 so waking Emily up wouldn't have been a bad thing but Em didn't budge. So Megan had breakfast and Grammy arrived to play around 9. I decided it was time to go in and check on Emily and she finally woke up when I walked in that time. She seemed a little out of it - very groggy - but I got her up and got her dressed. That's when I noticed her feet AND her hands were ice cold and more than slightly purple. I was happy to see she didn't have a yucky diaper and she was wet so she wasn't dehydrated. I took her downstairs for breakfast. The girl didn't let out a peep. She barely ate anything and I even made her some baby oatmeal and applesauce and a bottle. She was just so quiet and lethargic. I finally called the doc and left a message and tried to get her to move around and get her blood pumping but she didn't want to do anything but snuggle. After about 30 minutes (and a phone call from James in Hong Kong) I called the doc back and said I wanted to bring her in. They made an appointment for me at 1210 then asked what was wrong. When I explained the purple hands and feet (and lips too) she decided to have me come in immediately to be squeezed in. Obviously I started thinking the worst! If the doc wants to 'squeeze you in' instead of waiting an hour it must mean what you've described is abnormal and cause for concern. When we arrived the nurse noticed her hands right away. Thanks for freaking me out more!! So the doc came in (and it was the new doc we've never met before) and didn't really seem too worried. She said "we never like seeing purple hands and feet" (thanks lady) BUT in this case it's not so bad. Emily was mildly dehydrated from her tummy episodes but her mouth (tongue and gums) were fine and she'd had a wet diaper so she wasn't bad. They did hook her up to the blood oxygen thingy and she was at 100% so there wasn't anything to worry about ... as long as she continues to eat and drink. So all that freaking out (and this terribly long wordy story) to find out my kid will be fine and that I just need to keep an eye on her hydration. (duh) I was so relieved!! Em fell asleep in the car on the way home and I took her up to bed, even though it was noon, and she's still asleep. I'm a little worried about her sleeping all day but I guess I do that sometimes when I'm sick.
On a lighter note, the doc has a new office and it is really nice!! It seems kind of cold and sterile but it's brand new, it was cold outside, and shouldn't a doc's office be sterile? Em weighs 22.5 pounds!! She's growing like a weed!!
James comes home tomorrow! My girls are sleeping so I should be cleaning house but I'm just too exhausted. Hopefully I'll find the strength sometime so James doesn't have to come home to the black hole of laundry.
No comments:
Post a Comment