Tuesday, October 21, 2008

How ...

How am I going to do it? How am I going to survive having two kids at home? Megan is an absolute handful. We went to the grocery store this morning and it was a nice trip. How am I going to do that with two kids? Shopping carts are designed for one kid. Keep in mind, we're talking about two kids who won't be walking on their own. Sure, Megan will be walking long before this baby arrives but can a 15 month old really be trusted to stay with mommy while running around Kroger? So I'll have one kid in the carrier in the buggy and one kid in the seat. Where exactly am I supposed to put my groceries? I guess I'll be going every other day since my cart will be full of children!! :-)

Megan gets in to everything. Today, I had to rearrange my pantry thanks to that curious little monster. She was "helping" me put away the groceries when she popped up and reached for a jar of food, knocking it to the floor. The jar broke sending little pieces of glass everywhere. Broken glass and a barefoot crawling baby don't mix. Luckily I got her out of there before she found any of the glass but then I had to clean the floor, move all the glass off the bottom shelf, and take out two huge bags of garbage. Cleaning out the pantry always uncovers expired items that need to be tossed. Who has expired SOUP in their pantry? Seriously ... that stuff is good for YEARS and I have expired cans? Whatever. Pantry rearranging is hard work for pregnant women. I need a nap!

Speaking of baby food, Megan tried a new meal today. I bought her a Graduates mac n cheese with chicken and veggies. She eats her 3rd foods chicken and veggies and likes those gross little chicken sticks so I figured she would like this too since it's more like real food with chunks of chicken. Well, I'm not sure she's my child because she doesn't like Mac N Cheese!! I lived on that stuff growing up and it's still one of my favorites (though not very gestational diabetes friendly - grrrr)!! Every time I've offered her any mac n cheese, Gerber 2nd Foods or some organic brand 3rd food, she has turned up her nose. Today, she would open her mouth for the spoon then she pursed her lips and turned her head (smearing food across her cheek). I had to try really hard not to laugh because it was so cute and I don't really want to encourage that reaction to new food.

PRAY for my husband tonight. I'm trying a new recipe and that doesn't always turn out well. We grilled chicken and shrimp fajitas Sunday night and have lots of chicken left. Yeah, the shrimp disappeared! I didn't want leftover fajitas and we always turn leftover fajitas into quesadillas so I decided to try something different. So I'm trying out some Chicken Enchiladas tonight. Pray for me too ... I'm sure the tortillas and rice and chips will send my blood sugar up but it just sounds so yummy. :-)

4 comments:

Katy said...

I've seen many mothers in the grocery store with one cart in front of them with the kiddos and then pulling another cart behind with the groceries! It doesn't sound very appealing, I agree, But maybe you could get more at a time! I actually enjoy organizing the pantry!! Maybe I'm nesting! hahaha. I hope the meal turned out yummy!

Mel :-) said...

Things will be harder for a little while, like grocery shopping, eating at restuarants, etc. but it is SO nice to have the Girls close in age! Now that they are a little older they keep eachother company and play so well together. You will love it, I promise!
As far as the grocery shopping- we have done it several ways like using the Bjorn front carrier for one and putting one in the cart, having Ben come along on a weeknight or weekend (or going solo after he gets home from work and can watch them!), trading shopping days with a mommy friend- even leaving one with someone makes it easier, or you find the place that has the 2 seat carts when they get a little older. Mother's Day out became my BEST friend for this reason, I could do so much more when I had just one kid (or neither!) with me to do my errands like this!!
Things that seem like they are going to be impossible never are- you will find ways to make them work. :-)

haasej said...

And then there is always Grandma!

Heather said...

WOW, what wonderful advice from Mel! I don't have 2 kids, but I watch my nephew a lot and I have to admit, we usually stay inside for this reason. It's challenging, but sounds Mel has offered up some great ideas! I'll have to share those with my other SIL as well. I do know that those 2 neices of mine are the best of friends, so that's definitely something to look forward to with your own so close together!
Chicken enchiladas...yummy...good idea!