Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Birthday Set!

I saw my OB today and the first thing she said was "Looks like we're having a birthday party Thursday!". She was excited for me. My specialist recommended delivery at 37 weeks so my doc is taking that and running with it. I will be 37 weeks on Thursday. She did give me the option of induction or c-section and I decided to go the induction route. They starting me with some stuff on my cervix to get it going (sorry if it's TMI for some of you) on Wednesday night then the big drugs on Thursday (pitocin) to finish the job. We're giving it one try and if it fails, which I guess it does sometimes, we'll do a c-section on Friday. I will be monitored closely because there is a chance that the reduced fluid could cause problems for Megan tolerating the contractions. This would happen even if I went into labor on my own - it's not really an issue caused by induction. There is a chance she'll need a stay in the NICU once she's out but we're praying that doesn't happen. I am ready to get out of here but life sure will be different when I do!!

The worst part about being in the hospital these past couple weeks is all the stuff I missed out on. There was so much I planned to do, starting with getting a couple more weeks out of those damn maternity clothes. I wanted to do last minute shopping. It would have been nice to try on nursing bras instead of just buying them by look on the internet. I wanted to start Christmas shopping. I wanted to assemble things and organize things. Instead, I sat here in a cave all by myself and didn't really get to enjoy being pregnant ... showing off my pregnant belly. I am definitely going to miss being pregnant. Seriously, aside from the whole hospital thing and a little achiness I have felt fantastic. I love feeling her move inside of me, even when I'm freaking out because I can't remember the last time she moved. Granted, I'm getting much bigger now and am getting more uncomfortable but the hospital bed has helped. I have five pillows packed all around me supporting me from every side and it's nice to have the rails to help me up! You should have seen me trying to shave my legs yesterday. ha ha ha well, I'm glad you didn't see it. It wasn't easy and will probably be the last time I shave for a while. Good thing it's 'long pants' weather!

We're both freaking out about what to do once we get the baby home. Neither of us are "baby people" and never have been. Changing diapers and bathing and feeding are things we're all going to learn together. The dog just didn't complain much so having the demand of caring for an infant is going to be a rude awakening for a couple of people who like doing what we want when we want. As unsure as we both are, we're both really excited.

My plans for my first few days/nights at home.
1. pizza. James said we could order pizza soon after we get home with baby. Do I still need to avoid pepperoni? I guess if I'm nursing I shouldn't eat the jalapenos. hmmmm. I think I'll get a LARGE and not share it. Who's counting carbs anymore? NOT ME!
2. sit outside. I have really missed fresh air. I think we're supposed to have warmish (for December) weather when I get home so maybe I can sit outside on the glider with my little girl.
3. snuggle with the dog. I'll just have to spend some time with the pup while James gets some bonding time with Megan. I miss my poor pooch so much!

I guess I shouldn't make any more plans than that because I won't have time to do anything else between feedings and diaper changes. right? You know, James and I laugh because we took those babycare and childbirth classes and still don't have a clue. Waste of money? maybe. We'll see. We took them so long ago it was still a distant thing for us but now it's here. YAY!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! :) I will say a little prayer for your safe labor and delivery!

Mel :-) said...

That's WONDERFUL news!!! How exciting! :-D
You will be fine, don't stress out about labor at all! As long as you have an epidural you won't feel a thing. I will pray for a quick and easy labor for you! Talk to you soon!