Saturday, January 03, 2009

Baby #2 Update!

Well, I had my first weekly visit to the doc yesterday. We did a biophysical profile (BPP - ultrasound just watching for baby's movements, position, heart function, amniotic fluid level, and the basic stuff) and a non-stress test (NST - where they hook me up to the monitors and I have to push a little button every time she moves so they can make sure her heart rate increases with her movements). I had forgotten how much I enjoyed the NSTs - just laying there listening to your baby's heartbeat is really relaxing. Especially if someone else is at home watching your 13 month old! ;-) My perinatologist recommended the weekly BPP/NST visits in the 3rd trimester and we will start doing NSTs twice a week at 34 weeks, which is the first of February. The doc is giving me a little more time to get the blood sugar under control and isn't all that worried about my moderately high numbers so that was some good news. My amniotic fluid level has dropped and is right in the normal range. Apparently it is normal for the fluid to drop around this time of the pregnancy when the baby starts processing more of it and then it should hold steady. She is finally head down so we're not worried about a c-section for a breech. The doc said as long as everything continues to go well, and she doesn't foresee any problems, I'll be induced at 38 weeks. She doesn't want me going much longer than that, mostly because I've been dealing with the Gestational Diabetes since the beginning this time. So it looks like I only have 8 weeks left! WOOHOO! This little girl should be here at the very end of February or the first of March and we can't wait.

I can't forget the most important thing ... my weight gain is back down to two pounds!! Obviously I've lost weight but I feel like I'm carrying around an extra ton. I finally got one of those fancy girdle belly supports. It is the ugliest thing I've ever seen but it sure is making my legs and back feel a little better. I think it's making me carry more out front though ... because I'm just getting HUGE. James laughed at me yesterday when I climbed up on the table for the ultrasound and lifted my shirt. Just what you want to hear, right?

Well, I ate leftover chips and queso from Chili's with my lunch so I better go exercise to get that blood sugar down. I guess I'll help James take down some Christmas stuff. The weather is nice, though a little warm for me for January. I miss my Uggs!

3 comments:

Heather said...

So Exciting Jenny! Glad to hear everything is coming along well. Good luck with the last few weeks! Hang in there!

Mel :-) said...

Wow, 8 weeks left!! That is so exciting! Glad everything is going well, hope it continues to do so! :-)

Anonymous said...

Guess EGS had other plans!!! Little did you know. Congratulations! I know it's not what you planned, but 30 wks/4 days is not too bad. She's a great size. I'm sure it will be tough balancing between visiting her and being with your tot at home, but it could be worse. Don't hesitate to call me if you get worried or curious and have premie questions. Call T and tell him what hospital she is at. We'll be thinking of you all!