Thursday, December 20, 2007

We survived!

Today is Megan's three week birthday, otherwise known as my due date!! ha ha ha! Yes, I know I need to change my ticker but I just don't remember how I added it so it will take me some time to figure it out. It is an absolutely beautiful day. It's warm and sunny - nice cool breeze - temps in the 60s. I even have my windows open to let in some fresh air. We don't usually get to do that in December so it is definitely a nice treat. SO, Megan and I ventured out on our own to Target. I had some last minute Christmas shopping to do (and I'm still not quite done but surprisingly you can't actually get everything you need at Target) and we needed some more Newborn size diapers. She'll be out of them soon so we're buying one small package at a time, which doesn't last long in this house of novice diaper changers, the size 1's are still just a little too big. We survived our outing without any problems, outbursts, or blowouts. We weren't gone for long but it was nice to be free and learn that I can do this.

In the short time I've been a mom I've learned some pretty important things:
1. Don't sit down to blog unless you're sure your baby has been fed and changed.
2. Don't start the diaper changing process while she's still making the funny faces.
3. Unless you're completely certain there has been a blowout down there, don't change her diaper after the middle of the night feedings. I hope this doesn't make me a bad person but face it, the cold air will just wake her up again and we really don't want that at 2 am.
4. Try the pacifier and you might get another hour of sleep before it's time to heat up a bottle.
5. Don't wait more than 4 hours between breastfeeding/pumping. It hurts.
6. Not for the bashful ... always wear nursing pads to bed at night.
7. Bottle brushes with the sponge-type tops on them don't last long when using the narrow-neck bottles.
8. Before going to bed, leave a large cup of ice water out so you'll have it there for your middle of the night feedings.
9. When getting up to feed the baby, go to the bathroom first then get the baby up.
10. Stay hopeful ... you might get that pedicure done by the 5th day it's on your list.

Mother-in-law is coming in town today. She'll be here for a week so I probably won't be blogging much, if at all, between now and next Friday. She leaves Thursday at the CRACK of dawn then Megan has her ONE MONTH check-up later that morning. Time really flies. She's already getting so big! We've braved our first Target outing. I'm sure sometime this week we'll brave our first restaurant outing and I can't wait. I haven't been out to eat in over a month and I haven't been able to order whatever I want off the menu since September. Right now, it's bath time for Megan so she can be all fresh and clean and pretty when she meets her other Grandma!

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

1 comment:

Mel :-) said...

You are so funny with your list! Glad you have survived the first 3 weeks so well! ;-) It will only get easier now...until she hits about 2 and a half! HA! :-D Have a wonderful time with your MIL and Merry Christmas!