I omitted all the salt and used fat free low sodium broth and it ended up needing some salt but that's something you can always add at the end to your taste. It also may depend on whether or not you crumble salty tortilla chips into the soup ... oh and top with cheese ... mmmmmm cheese ...
- 1 lb shredded, cooked chicken
- 1 (15 oz) can whole peeled tomatoes, mashed
- 1 (10 oz) can enchilada sauce
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 (4 oz) can chopped green chiles
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups water
- 1 (14 oz) can chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 (10 oz) package frozen corn
- 1 Tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
Place chicken, tomatoes, enchilada sauce, onion, green chiles, and garlic into slow cooker. Pour in water and chicken broth and season with cumin, chili powder, salt, pepper and bay leaf. Stir in corn and cilantro. Cover and cook on LOW for 6-8 hours or on HIGH for 3-4 hours.
I forgot to remove the bay leaf so I think James must've eaten it! hee hee Some people who tried this recipe used canned chicken but I'm somewhat of a meat snob and like to cook my own meat so I can be sure there aren't any bones anywhere! yuck! For this recipe I cubed some boneless skinless breasts and sauteed them in some olive oil with a light sprinkling of fajita seasoning and it turned out fine. It's a really easy recipe considering you pour everything in the pot and leave it! Set it and forget it!
1 comment:
That sounds SO good!! You have inspired me...I am making tortilla soup for dinner tonight. We are supposed to get an inch of snow today, it will be perfect hot-soup weather! I know my MIL will love it! ;-)
Post a Comment