Sunday, June 01, 2008

Sex ... and the City

I can't believe I forgot to post this. We (me and some girlfriends - not the husband) went to see Sex And The City Friday night. OK, first of all, I never really watched the show while it was on for a couple reasons. One, I'm not one of those super girly types that just has to watch this show or that show, let alone one that everyone is like "Oh my God! We have to get together and watch this week!". Now, some of you might be calling me out because I did enjoy the occasional 90210 or Melrose get together but that was all about procrastination and my strong desire to not study and the possibility that I just might find someone to go out for a pitcher and some cheese fries afterwards. And two, we didn't have HBO at the time and refused to pay for a channel just so we could watch a TV show. Let's face it, who had time for movies? So, getting the point, I was a bit skeptical about going to see this movie on opening night. I mean, I had heard it was a great movie and I have since seen most episodes (whether on HBO with all the dirty dirty stuff or on network cable without Samantha) so I wanted to see it. I spent the week leading up to it watching Christy's DVDs but only made it to the middle of season 3. Before the movie, we ate dinner at Razoo's since it was by the theater. I had never been there either but I strongly recommend the fried pickles (even if you detest pickles like I do) and the Swamp Thing (a large frozen concoction that cost $8). We had bought our tickets online before going which was good because it was sold out and we got in line about an hour before showtime so we were about 20th into the theater and got great seats. Then, the funniest thing happened. The lights turned off and the previews started and the entire theater erupted in this ear shattering squeal!! It was like a junior high dance when the coolest boy in school asked your friend to dance, only it was happening to each and every woman in the theater at the same time (and a few of the men who were mysteriously paired off - without women). Yes, I like to make fun but I probably did that when the lights turned down when James and I were at the new Indiana Jones movie so I can't give my friends too much of a hard time. If I had been a die-hard fan of the TV show, I might have done the same thing. The movie was simply fabulous!! I was amazed by how much it drew me in. I laughed. I cried. I laughed so hard I cried. I hardly realized I had been sitting there for 2.5 hours (until my old ass had to stand up and every joint in my body popped!). I can't wait to see it again. I'm seriously thinking about going to see it again, at the theater, but maybe at matinee prices so I have more money for popcorn and sour patch kids. I also plan to watch the rest of the DVDs before I do.

I highly recommend the movie to anyone who isn't offended by foul language, gratuitous boob shots, full frontal male nudity, lots of sexual content and a little bathroom humor. Take some tissues though because if the serious parts don't bring out a tear, the funny parts will!!

5 comments:

Mel :-) said...

Can you believe I have NEVER seen even one episode of this show?!? The movie actually looks good to me though! I just might have to see it, especially now that I have heard such great things about it!! Thanks!! :-)

Judie said...

I am laughing because our movie did the same thing right before the movie. I liked it a lot and I wasn't so obsessed with the show.

Katy said...

I have never seen the show either, but you've enticed me to see the movie. I wonder if I should drag my hubby??? I'm sure he would be miserable!

Jennifer said...

I'm glad to know I'm not the only person who DIDN'T watch Sex and the City. I think my hubby would have enjoyed the movie ... even though he's more of a 'war epic' type ... because it did have something for everyone.

Anonymous said...

NEver seen it either- rethinking going to see the movie since you liked it though!

stacy