I had a follow up appointment this morning. I fasted - put nothing in my stomach after 10:00 last night until after they pulled my blood this morning and I failed again. My number from the original glucose test last week, after the oh-so-yummy orange sugar drink, was 205 and is supposed to be less than 140. OOPS! This morning, the fasting glucose number was supposed to be under 105 and I came in at 125. So that's that. I officially have gestational diabetes and all the fun is over. The fasting number today was high but it could have been worse so I think my freaking out over the past couple days and being afraid to eat anything bad for me might have actually helped. The appointment this morning did have a bright side. I know it's not good to lose weight during pregnancy but my weight was down a few pounds from my last visit so I'm looking at 18 total pounds from the beginning. Now that I'm starting this no-fun diet I shouldn't gain too fast in the last trimester. I'm not sure I can actually gain weight without ice cream. I'm not sure I'll actually survive without ice cream. There's always sugar free jello, right? yummy.
I had to jump through hoops to get a glucometer paid for by my insurance company. I had to use their mail order service of suffer the wrath of "out of network" charges so I won't be poking my fingers until early next week. I do, however, have my counseling bright and early tomorrow morning so I'll learn how to use the meter and follow the diet. Fun times!
What else does this mean for us? I will start my weekly appointments at 32 weeks instead of 35 and each appointment will consist of a sonogram and fetal monitoring as well as going over my blood sugar levels. They're giving me until next Friday to get things under control with diet but if the numbers are still high then, I'll start insulin injections. I really DO NOT want to do that, partly because of the shots and partly because it's not exactly the safest thing in the world for the baby. The risk of stillbirth increases if you're on insulin so they'll do a c-section at 38 weeks if I'm on insulin. I certainly would wish for a complication other than stillbirth. While the doc didn't seem too concerned, as long as I keep everything under control, that was one glaring problem I really didn't like hearing about. I'll survive but I'm sure I'll be complaining for the next, oh ... 12 weeks or so.
I have the best husband in the world! He came to my appointment this morning and I was so happy to have him there. He asked good questions and helped me keep things straight in my head. Of course, I think he was excited to see the hot doctor again and maybe hear Baby Megan's heartbeat too. He's been so busy at work so I was happy he was able to get away for the appointment. He really has been great through this pregnancy. Aside from enjoying the occasional (nightly) frosty beverage/frozen margarita/glass of wine in front of me, he has been very supportive. He brought me flowers Tuesday night, after I had gotten the news and when I got into the car Wednesday morning he had left a card in there for me. It might have been the first time I cried over something other than sports. :-)
I took the whole day off from work and got to watch 90120 on SoapNet!! The bitchy boss is out for the rest of the week so I just left a message with the not-so-bitchy one. I didn't finish taking care of everything until 3:00 today so screw em. Besides, I think managing my health issues are WAY more important than anything I could have done at work. I'm going to be late tomorrow too because of the counseling but what can I do? When one is at the mercy of doctors' schedules ...
3 comments:
I had gestational diabetes with my second, Jenna. It was definitely a wakeup call for my health. I went to counseling too and pricked my fingers every day! I was aloud only 7 grams of carbs a day! It was very strict. I gained 14 pounds total with Jenna. Granted I was already 25 pounds overweight from Jackson! I felt better at the way I was eating and I hoped to continue that way after giving birth! But that didn't happen. I went back to my old ways!
Good luck, It's hard but if I can do it then anyone can!!
I am so sorry to hear about the diabetes. I've had 2 of the ladies that I work with have gestational diabetes. One of them had it with both of her kids. They both were able to control it with the diet and walking. Good luck!!!
Stefanie
Sorry to hear about it Jenny. But I know you can do it. And it will all be worth it!!!
stacy
Post a Comment