Monday, May 12, 2008

Happy Mother's Day - edited ...

To all you mommies and mommies-to-be out there, I hope you had a great Mother's Day. It was my first official Mother's Day and, despite the fact that James came down with the Starke Family Tummy Bug, it was a good one. Last year, we were still unsure if this day would ever come. I was pregnant, still early in my first trimester, and was on progesterone trying to 'save the pregnancy' so just having Megan in my arms that morning made the whole day take on a new meaning. Of course, it wasn't until after I fed her, cleaned up her blow-out diaper, changed her clothes, emptied the dishwasher and did a load of laundry that I had time to just sit there and contemplate the day. James was sick in bed so Meg and I went to lunch with my mom and brother. Uncle Coach hadn't seen Megan since Christmas so that was fun. It wasn't a big celebration but I did enjoy a margarita with lunch and I drove through McDonald's for an ice cream cone on my way home later that afternoon. mmmmm ... soft serve. James gave me the most wonderful gift too. He started a charm bracelet for me with two charms; a "mommy" charm and a dragonfly. It is beautiful and I can't wait to add to it as Megan grows up.

Megan started on vegetables yesterday. She doesn't like peas any better than cereal. One more day on peas then she'll get to try something else. I'm tempted to just give her ice cream!! ok - not really but it's so frustrating that she just will NOT eat anything. We've been trying solids for 6 weeks now and have made NO PROGRESS. On top of that, she's not taking as much formula as she was before the tummy bug so I worry that she's not eating enough. She goes back to the doc May 30 for her 6 month check up so I'm just going to hope she'll be OK until then ... or maybe she'll show more interest when we introduce fruits in a week or two. God help us if she turns out to just be picky like her mommy. :-)

I guess it's little league season again. The kid across the alley from us is apparently back to hitting baseballs off his back fence. I can just hear WHACK! WHACK! WHACK! Or maybe there's just an axe murderer out there. We have SOOOO many tennis balls and a few baseballs end up in our backyard thanks to them. Hopefully the little snot won't break out a window! His parents should just build him a batting cage ... or maybe just a cage. ha ha ha

I suppose I should try to figure out something for dinner now that it's 6:30. I have to earn my stay-at-home mom salary of $130k!! riiiiiight.

ETA - BTW ... the solid foods haven't made a bit of difference in the spitting up. She just now spits up green in the evenings. Yes, I just cleaned peas off her and her play mat so I had to add. I won't be able to tell the spit up from the poop! HAH! Also, for those nosey-judgeys that might have thought the spit up was due to her being over-fed ... not the case either. She spit up after eating 3 oz., 4 oz., 6 oz., as we gradually increased her food intake after the tummy bug. She's just a giant baby who ate a lot of formula.

You know, when you're pregnant you get so much unsolicited advice. You pick the little nuggets you want to hold on to then toss the rest. (Actually, you first take all advice as the word of God and freak out because you know nothing or don't agree with stuff you think you have to do then you wise up and filter it). Then, you have your baby and you reach out to other mothers for input but you still have to pick the nuggets that help you I guess. Don't get me wrong, I love input from anyone and everyone that has any kind of input but I just have to realize all children are different. I think I'm looking for an instruction manual that is a one-size-fits-all and there isn't such a thing.

Oh - and I think cleaning up regurgitated peas has made me grumpy.

4 comments:

Mel :-) said...

Happy 1st Mother's Day!! :-) Glad you had a good one! Don't stress over the veggies, I am sure if you keep introducing them eventually she will give in. She'll get hungry enough, ha ha! ;-)

Jennifer said...

Thanks! I just don't know if she'll ever get hungry enough because I always give in and giver her the bottle. She just screams! I'm hoping she'll give in when she gets ahold of something she really likes. She sure loved that orange pedialyte and she likes her fruity medicine. Maybe that's her problem?!?!

Mel :-) said...

It's all good- peas, bottle, fruit, zwiebach toast- whatever she eats is whatever she eats. Seriously- it will all be fine in the end. So she'll only take the bottle for a little while longer- who cares, you know?
When you are really really stressed out over a phase or stage, just keep chanting to yourself "this too shall pass." It has become my mantra! ;-)
Parenting is stressful enough as it is, don't worry about all the advice thrown at you! We mommies do whatever works for our kids even if that isn't what the book says we should do or what everyone else does. Just take it one day (and one margarita) at a time! ;-) You are doing a great job!

Anonymous said...

My only advice is throw out the pea-stained clothes cuz they are ruined!

stacy