The vet seemed pretty positive about everything so I'm happy - well, happier than before I went. Kaitlin whimpered when the vet checked her back hips then yelped when she was feeling along her spine. They took some x-rays of her back and the pics showed more arthritis along her vertebrae. Instead of rounded edges hers are getting kind of pointy. The vet thought there might be a slipped disk but there wasn't. Her spine is trying to heal itself by growing more bone. It is actually causing a lot of inflammation and possibly some exposed nerves but the plan is to treat her with some anti-inflammatories ... or arthritis medicine ... and reevaluate. She does have hip displasia so that's the problem with her hips and it has just gotten progressively worse so she'll just be on medicine everyday. It is possible she stepped funny (or rolled off the sofa - she likes to turn onto her back and sometimes she gets really close to the edge) to hurt her back. No jumping off things! I had to put the baby gate across the stairs so she won't go up there with me. She can make it up just fine but she can't make it down without pain!! She's on complete bed-rest for two weeks then we'll continue to limit her activity for another two weeks. We're also supposed to help her lose about 3 to 5 pounds. I gave her another pain pill and she has been asleep on the floor since then. I'm happy she's asleep because I know she's not in pain.
When we got to the vet I asked if someone could help me get her out of the car because she's having trouble walking. When she got all feet on the ground she took off in a trot with her tail wagging. hmmmm ... I think she was trying to convince me she was OK and didn't need to see the vet. ;-)
2 comments:
Awww...poor doggie! Guess dogs get all those age-related problems too! ;-)
Glad all is well with your dog. That is sad that she hurts so much! I can tell she is a big part of the family!
Post a Comment