Tuesday, March 29, 2011

It's Official!

I have Gestational Diabetes. 

Again.

Yeah, I've been watching my carbs and testing my blood sugar levels all along.  It's no surprise and will be 'business as usual' for me but I was holding on to the little glimmer of hope that I might kick the glucose test's ass.  I came close to winning. Closer than I ever have before.

My history with sugar ...

Megan - took the 1-hour test at the typical 28 weeks.  Passing is <140.  I hit 205.  YIKES!  The doc didn't even need me to take the 3-hour test.  A fasting blood sugar of 126 (should have been <95) confirmed it.

Emily - took the 1-hour test at 7 weeks.  Passing is <140.  I hit 179.  WOW!  Should have taken the 3-hour test but didn't bother to schedule it and my doc seemed OK with that.

The Boy - took the 1-hour test at 9 weeks.  Passing is <140.  I hit 111!!!  I PASSED!  So I took the 1-hour test again at 28 weeks, even though my doc didn't seem to think I needed to. I barely failed with a 156.  Held onto hope that I could pass so I took the 3-hour test.  FAILED IT! 
   Fasting:      84  (<90)   ** fantastic **
   1-Hour:   186  (<180)  ** close! **
   2-Hour:   177  (<155)  ** ouch! **
   3-Hour:     77  (<140)  ** sugar crash **

The main reason I wanted to take the test, aside from a failed personal mission to pass it, was so I could have the diagnosis in my records.  If I end up having problems or in the hospital on bed rest, I just need to have it in writing that I am a Gestational Diabetic.  I don't need anyone overlooking anything.

I'll be 30 weeks tomorrow.  Emily was born at 30 weeks so I'm holding my breath until we get past this week.  Don't go back to the doc until next Tuesday!  Looking forward to another ultrasound!!

No comments: